My stuff has yet to come, probably on Tuesday, but we'll have to see, and I'm thinking maybe once all my possessions are here, it'll feel more real, right now... it still feels like I'm on holiday and having a blast!
We've been watching a lot of news, but have yet to get my dose of MPR's Morning Show to see what really is going on, but so far seems to be the craze of H1N1 a.k.a The Swine Flu. Here's my rant about it.
Lets for just a second pretend that this is all true, ok?
So, Little Edgar, a 4-year-old from Mexico is our patient zero, somehow there's a connection to the NY students from St Francis who traveled to Cancun and are sick too. The pig flu the virus has a life span of 2-7 hours and supposedly gets transfered by human contact, which means that if these people shook hands, hugged, kissed, touched a passport while they traveled, used the bathroom on the plane, grabbed the rail on the stairs, well wouldn't all the families of these people be sick, and the employees at the airport, and the all the people that traveled on the plane, and consequently their families, and their co-workers... and two weeks later wouldn't the whole world be infected? I mean, if this is really as pandemic as it's being made out to be, wouldn't half of the world be dead by now?
Somehow I find this really hard to believe that after all this time there are a few isolated cases in Europe, one in Hong Kong and a few here and there in Mexico... for those of you not in the know may I please remind you of the 22 million people who live in Mexico City, who use the bus, the subway, the restaurants, the schools, the street vendors, the amount of people in one enclosed area on a regular basis... a couple of hundred cases in a city of 22 million, does not seem as pandemic to me... but then again, there is a chance this is a complete distraction from something bigger that we're not seeing... or there are way more cases than the news portrays.
Bottom line is, as much as I try to logically explain this, non of it makes any sense, and meanwhile people are scared, buying every last bottle of hand sanitizer, and clorox wipes in a futile attempt to stop what's not really there. I mean, is there such a thing as H1N1? Yes... is it Pandemic? I doubt it. But for the time being we'll all have to wait till May 6th and see if Mexico goes back into full force, and try to read between the lines of this whole mess.
Until then keep safe, and make sure to wash your hands constantly :)

No comments:
Post a Comment